Di Matteo clear favourite for Sunderland job
Paolo Di Canio was sacked as manager of Sunderland on Sunday evening and the bookmakers only see one man as likely to replace him and that is his compatriot Roberto Di Matteo who is odds-on to take up the role at the Stadium of Light.
The Champions League winning manager has been out of work since leaving Chelsea last year and is seen as the obvious option for the Black Cats by the bookies with Sky Bet offering a best price of 2/5 for him to take the job.
The Italian has enjoyed successful spells with MK Dons, West Brom and of course Chelsea who he led to FA Cup and Champions League glory in 2012 but for some reason he has never stayed for long at any of these clubs despite attaining good results on the pitch.
His nearest rival in the betting is unlikely to stir the imagination of Sunderland fans as former Birmingham and Aston Villa manager Alex McLeish comes in at 4/1 again with Sky Bet.
Gustavo Poyet is then available at 5/1 with the same bookmaker and having been linked with a host of Premier League jobs over the past year it would be odd if he were not to at least be interviewed for the role.
The likes of Tony Pulis, Ole Gunnar Solksjaer and caretaker boss Kevin Ball are all also considered to be options but if the bookies are to be believed then the job is almost certainly Di Matteo’s.
• Jol odds-on to be next Premier League boss to go
• Ozil favourite for PFA award
• Arsenal title odds dramatically cut
• Lamela lowest price for debut strike
• Di Canio favourite to be first to leave post
• Lukaku backed to score heavily at Everton
• United out to 4/1 for Premier League
• Bookies not expecting goals from Ozil
• Poyet strong favourite for Fulham job
• Bendtner odds-on for Palace move