England 33/1 for World Cup glory
England finally secured their place in the 2014 World Cup in Brazil on Tuesday night with a thrilling 2-0 win over Poland at Wembley but the bookmakers do not fancy their chances of lifting the trophy next summer.
Roy Hodgson’s side are a lengthy best price of 33/1 with Betfred making them eighth favourites to lift the famous trophy at the Maracana in Rio de Janeiro.
The bookies seem to think that England’s most likely stage of elimination in Brazil is the second round, where they were knocked out in South Africa in 2010 with the best price available being 9/4 with Bet365 on the Three Lions going out in the last 16.
A disappointing exit at the group stage is available at 3/1 with William Hill whilst a run to the quarter-finals is a best price of 10/3 with Sky Bet which some may see as generous after the encouraging performances in the last two games.
The traditional method of defeat for England in major tournaments has been by way of penalty shootout and Coral are offering 6/1 on the Three Lions suffering penalty heartache again in 2014.
The favourites for the tournament remain the home side Brazil at a best price of 10/3 with Paddy Power.
• Ribery favourite to win Ballon dOr
• Croatia, Greece, Portugal and France favoured in World Cup play-offs
• Bookies expect Townsend to lose England place
• Townsend not backed to repeat heroics
• Bookies think Januzaj and Ilori unlikely to play for England
• Rooney and Sturridge odds-against to strike