Gerrard goes favourite for Sports Personality of the Year
Steven Gerrard is the new favourite to be crowned Sports Personality of the Year as he steers the Liverpool team he captains towards their first ever Premier League title.
The 33-year-old’s form has been exceptional this season and if he can lead the Reds to their first title for 24 years then he will certainly be seen as a worthy winner of the gong. Gerrard is now a best price of just 2/1 with Ladbrokes to win the award.
The Scouser is also the captain of England who he will lead at the World Cup this summer but it is not clear whether this is a help or a hindrance to winning SPOTY. Many are expecting England to fail in Brazil and a string of abject performances may well turn voters against Gerrard.
His main competition in the early betting comes from Lewis Hamilton who is the runaway favourite to win this year’s Formula One world championship. Hamilton has twice finished second in the vote and is a best price of 9/2 with Stan James to go one better this year.
• City now odds-on favourites for Premier League
• United 11/8 for top four finish next season
• Sunderland 5/4 to avoid relegation
• Cole odds-on for Madrid move
• Pulis into 4/1 for Manager of the Year
• Liverpool go favourites for Premier League
• Everton favourites for key Arsenal clash