Lambert 3/1 to make World Cup squad
After Rickie Lambert’s dream England debut on Thursday evening the Southampton striker remains a fairly lengthy price of 3/1 to make it into Roy Hodgson’s squad for next year’s World Cup in Brazil.
The 31-year-old centre forward came off the bench against Scotland at Wembley and headed in a Leighton Baines corner with his first touch of the ball in an England shirt. This turned out to be the winning goal and marked a perfect debut for the 6 ft 2 in hitman.
Despite this amazing start to his international career Sky Bet are still offering 3/1 on Lambert being on the plane to Brazil, the same odds they are offering on the likes of Carl Jenkinson and Raheem Stirling making the same trip.
There is clearly plenty of competition for Lambert in terms of options up front with the likes of Wayne Rooney, Theo Walcott, Danny Welbeck and Daniel Sturridge all odds-on to make the World Cup squad. However, Lambert’s main rival for the target man role will be Andy Carroll who is also odds-against to be on the plane at 13/8 again with Sky Bet.
If Lambert is able to replicate his goal scoring form of last season which saw him net 15 times for the Saints then he will have every chance of muscling his way into Hodgson’s plans. The bookies certainly see him as continuing to be Southampton’s main man with him odds-on to be their top scorer across the board except with Sky Bet who rate him at evens which is an excellent price. His nearest competitor in that market being Jay Rodriguez at 7/2 with Ladbrokes.
• Arsenal odds-against for derby win
• Eto’o favourite to be Chelsea top scorer
• Villa linked with Zamora swoop
• Newcastle 11/8 to re-sign Ba
• Arsenal set to be fail in Richards bid
• Moses now odds-on for Liverpool switch
• Ozil odds-on for Manchester United move
• Soldado now second favourite for Golden Boot
• Hull still 6/5 to stay in Premier League
• West Ham expected to grab Quagliarella
• Chelsea odds-on to capture Willian
• Di Maria odds-against to join Arsenal
• Chelsea to make third Rooney bid
• Southampton backed into 7/2 for Sinclair signing
• Cabaye odds-on to join Arsenal
• Fellaini and Baines still odds-on to join United
• United odds-against for opening day win
• Walker still linked with Chelsea switch
• Fulham now favourites to sign Parker
• Chelsea odds-on for Khedira capture
• Gayle ahead of Chamakh in Palace top scorer betting
• Moses odds-on to join Everton
• Watford new favourites for Sky Bet Championship
• Bookmaker opens betting on next team name change
• West Ham favourites for Ba signature
• Luiz still odds-against for Barcelona move
• Suarez was promised Liverpool exit
• Newcastle bring in Remy with Gomis expected to follow
• Chelsea see second Rooney bid rejected
• Spurs confirm 26m Soldado signing